27.5"/650B Rear Wheel - Duty MK2 + Shogun Standard
We re-designed the Duty alloy rims and created the MK2 successor, which is stronger than its predecessor, boasting full DH rating.
By using everything we learned from our research in MTB carbon rims, the alloy Duty MK2 features full hookless construction with the thickest straight sidewalls in the market of modern rim profiles. It also features the angled bead seat seen on our previous C35 rims, which its guaranteed to be air-burp-proof.
The Duty MK2 is our preferred wheelset for all round Enduro, Gravity, and DH riding. With the reliability of premium alloy and a with modern structure design, it is designed for popular low pressure tubeless setups. Hand laced in-house with proprietary techniques to ensure no truing or re-tensioning necessary.
Tubeless ready, the rim is 30mm internally wide, and supports tires of 2.25~2.6 inch optimally, but you can go with +Plus tires up to 3.0 Inches without folding tires in corners.
The combination of this rim and recommended tire width provide optimal grip and predictability, allowing less tire sidewall drag, more volume for a more comfortable ride, and wider ground contact patch for increased traction.
The Duty Wheelset features
- Hand laced, yielded-stress-relieved in Metro Vancouver, Canada.
- TAIRIN premium alloy 35mm wide (internally 30mm) rims.
- Tubeless compatible with rim angled bed lock design.
- The time-tested Shōgun Standard Rear hub, consisting of a ratcheting pawl platform with the Index Wedge technology.
- Various combinations of Sapim spokes and nipples to tailor to your riding demand.
(For more information about our TAIRIN rims and hub sets, please check product technicals)
This wheelset comes with a set of options for spoke and nipple combinations:
- Race / Brass - For optimal balance of strength, durability, and weight, we offer the wheelset with Sapim Race 2.0-1.8-2.0mm double butted spokes. Paired with the Sapim Poylax brass nipples. Butted spokes are more elastic in its thin section, which migrate stresses on its ends better than straight spokes.
- CX-Ray / Brass - For light and weight conscious riders. Best performance in weight-to-strength ratio. This combination is the lightest but still provides a very solid platform for all terrain riding. The CX-Ray spoke is flat-bladed, well known for its flexibility to migrate stresses from its ends, and its aerodynamic. This combination is 52g lighter per wheel, 104g lighter as a whole set.
Nipples - Sapim Poylax
Brass is back as the default option due to popular demand! No fuss brass to end all worries related to corrosion from selant and road salt. With a modern profile, Sapim's Polyax shaped nipples are the perfect choice for high end builds. Alloy Polyax nipples are available upon request (we had no problems with Sapim's 7075-T6 alloy nipples, but brass is 100% guarantee trouble free; and folks say its worth the smallest weight gain) All nipples come in black.
We tested 28 spoke wheels and came to conclusion that the weight savings are very minimal compared to the significant loss of durability and overall support by having 4 less spokes compared to the traiditional 32 count. Therefore all of our MTB wheelsets come with standard 32 spoke count per wheel.
Select your drivetrain specific freehub for this wheelset. Options are for traditional Shimano HG, Sram specific XD drive, and the new Shimano Microspline 12sp. Planning to change drivetains in the future? No problem. Freehubs are swappable with minimum effort. We also sell freehubs individually.
Brake Fitting options
All wheelsets come with standard 6-bolt brake mount. We are sticking to this ISO standard so that we can offer conversion kits to futureproof any of the hubs across all axle spacing standards.
Select between standard and premium decals. Click here to view the current color availability chart, and dont forget to fill in your choice in the last comment box. If you choose premium decals, make sure you select the premium option in the drop down menu. Standard decals have no extra cost.
Hand laced wheels
Our wheels are hand laced in Surrey, BC. We use multiple traditional methods of spoke yielding-stress-relieving and tension balancing, so that when you receive your wheel, you can rest assured that there is no seat in periods, or spokes losing tension in initial rides - these which would require re-tensioning like machine and poorly built wheels.
Premium hand built wheels requiere dedication and takes much longer than machine built, but the accuracy and attention to detail produced by the traditional way is one of the key aspects that makes Tairin wheels superior. By choosing Tairin Wheels, rest assured that every wheel has been hand crafted by a master wheel builder, so you get the best quality and labour, at the best deal out there.
Any questions and inquiry can be addressed by contacting us.
Wheel Size 27.5" Tire recommendation 2.25"~2.6" Tubeless or Tube External Rim Width 35mm Internal Rim Width 30mm Rim Depth 19mm Hubs Shōgun Standard Bearings Sealed Cartridge Engagement 96 Point, 6-Pawl, 3 Steps/Pawl Spokes Sapim Race or CX-Ray (Black) Spoke Nipples Sapim Brass (Black) Spoke Count 32h Base Weight 1970g/set 27.5" Recommended Use Aggressive XC, Enduro, All Mountain, DH Hub Warranty 3 Years Rim Warranty 3 Years Rim Crash Replacement 5 Years